EnviroGroup Action Plan
Vege Garden Relocation Suggestions
Purpose behind the idea:
To make the vege gardens more accessible for the children of the school.
Recommendation to the Board:
The position outside the library is the best option as it has many pros and very few cons to weigh them out.
Option 1: Beside library next to worm farm
Thinking behind it: It is well looked after and is in an accessible location for the juniors and seniors.
- accessible to junior and senior classes
- well looked after
- perfect growing conditions
- within school playing boundaries
- water is accessible (just needs hose connector for the water collector)
- protected by the library from any strong winds that blow in the lat e afternoon
- Frequently used by parents/ caregivers of the school to shade from the sun
- foot traffic that comes through going to the junior block (vulnerability)
- children play by the library running around the area
- attraction of bees and other insects that some may be allergic to
Option 2: Above junior paved playing area
Thinking behind it: it is well accessible and is frequently used by the juniors.
- frequently used by the juniors and seniors for getting to and fro from the playground
- balls fly from every direction as kids play soccer around that area
- a lot of foot traffic comes that way because of the playground and paved playing area for the juniors
Option 3: Next to rebound wall (senior paved play area)
Thinking behind it: great sun
- perfect for growing things
- little foot traffic passes through
- no water is access able unless you carry it from Rm6 drinking fountain
- balls come from every direction possible
- not very access able for the juniors
Ideas for Implementation:
We put a notice in the newsletter asking for volunteers from the school community to help with the moving of beds and asking kids who wish to join the Enviro-Group to come along and help.